What a brilliant first week in Year 2! Well done, Owls!
We have had lots of fun getting to know each other and finding out about our summer holidays. We have even started some of our maths, English and topic work this week!
In maths, we have been reminding ourselves of our numbers 1 to 100. We have been representing numbers in different ways using concrete materials (such as our tens and ones, numicon and tens frames) and have been writing these numbers in both numeral and written form. Can you choose a number between 1 and 100 and show someone at home how you could represent that using materials from home or drawing your tens and ones? Here is an example of our work:
In English, we reminded ourselves how to use full stops and capital letters. We also looked at nouns, verbs and adjectives. We had lots of fun sorting words into these categories. Can you tell someone at home what a noun, verb and adjective is? Towards the end of the week, we drew and wrote about some of the things we did during the summer holidays, ready to write our postcards all about our summer holidays. I loved finding out about some of the wonderful things you got up to!
In topic, we introduced our history topic: Ingenious Victorians! We learnt about some of the amazing Victorian inventions. Can you tell someone at home something that the Victorians invented?
- Spellings: Our spellings tests will take place on a Friday. The children have all been sent home with their spellings in their Spelling Records. If there are any spellings that the children get incorrect, these will be highlighted for you to see and support your children with.
- Spelling Shed Logins: The children now have access to their spellings on Spelling Shed. Their new login details have been glued to the front of the reading diaries. Please let me know if you have any issues with accessing their accounts via email.
- Spelling Shed: You will notice that there are two sets of spellings available on Spelling Shed for the children to practise.
- Art t-shirt: Just a reminder, if you haven't already, to please provide your child with an old t-shirt/shirt for their art lessons. Please ensure their name is written on them.
- Reading books: These are changed on a Friday. Your child will receive a Monster phonics book and a library book if they have been completed at home. Please ensure you are writing in when you have read with your child that week. We have also introduced our 'Road to Reading' in class. On a Friday, we will check if your child has read three times with an adult at home. If they have, they are given a sticker and house points. The children will move up the road to reading during the half-term, and children who reach the end of the road will receive a surprise.